– Auditions will be held April 10 –
March 9, 2022 – As Confederation Centre of the Arts prepares to bring Anne of Green Gables – The Musical™ back to the mainstage, the show’s director invites Island children to audition for the production.
Known as the ‘Children of Avonlea’, this chorus of youths spends the summer performing alongside the professional artists hired for The Charlottetown Festival. “It is a great opportunity for budding young artists to gain experience in a big production,” says Adam Brazier, the Centre’s artistic director of performing arts, who is directing the show. “We always strive for this to be a positive experience that inspires the Island’s next generation of performers.”
Confederation Centre’s associate artistic director of performing arts, Dawn Ward, will be assistant directing the musical and attend auditions alongside Brazier.
The Festival is looking for mature, talented, and responsible youth between the ages of 8 – 14. Candidates should be able to sing well both solo and in a group, and ideally have some training and/or experience in movement, acrobatics, and/or step dance. There is also a need for one or two children who can play the fiddle.
Auditions will be held the afternoon of Sunday, April 10 at the Centre and are by appointment only. To book an audition time, please contact Rosie Shaw at [email protected].
- All candidates should prepare one song and bring sheet music in the correct key for the accompanist
- Fiddle players should prepare one song and bring their instrument
- Candidates may be asked to dance and should dress comfortably with appropriate footwear; step dancers should bring tap shoes
- Candidates may be asked to return for a callback later in the day; this will be confirmed at their audition
- Candidates must be available for the entirety of the contract, no exceptions
- Dates: May 24 – September 3
- Rehearsal schedule TBD, performance schedule is four shows / week
- Candidates selected for the production will receive an honorarium for their work, which will be paid in two parts: upon contract signing and after completion of the contract
- Candidates will be supervised by a child wrangler at all times