– Participants get hands-on experience with industry professionals –
March 2, 2022 – After the success of the inaugural program, Confederation Centre of the Arts is once again running its Backstage Training Program. This paid opportunity gives participants hands-on training from highly accomplished industry professionals in a variety of production departments, including lighting, props, sound, stage management, and wardrobe. The program is supported by SkillsPEI with funding from the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism, and Culture through the Canada-PEI Labour Market Agreements.
“This program is a launching pad for people who are interested in working behind the scenes,” says Andrea Surich, General Manager of Theatre at Confederation Centre. “We are particularly interested in welcoming members of communities that have traditionally been underrepresented in our industry, and who have faced systemic barriers to training opportunities and exposure to the arts.”
The training sessions will run throughout April. After completing the program, some participants may be offered paid summer internships at The Charlottetown Festival, Victoria Playhouse, or Watermark Theatre.
The deadline to apply to the program is Friday, March 11, 2022 at 5 p.m. Interviews will be held the week of March 21, and all successful applicants will be notified by the end of the month. Applicants with questions or requests for accommodations can contact Rosie Shaw, Theatre Project Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 902-388-0211.
Backstage Training Program Summary
- Program duration is either one week (30 hours) or two weeks (60 hours)
- Pay rate is $13.70/hour for training and $15/hour for internships
- Individuals may apply for and be selected for more than one session/department
- Training will be given in English
- Program hours are EI eligible
- Tentative schedule is Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 – 4 p.m. (six hours/day, five days/week)
- Schedule may vary based on department needs (i.e., some may have a Saturday work session due to holiday, training space availability, and/or production schedule)
- Canadian citizenship
- Current resident of P.E.I.
- 18 years of age or older
- Unemployed or underemployed (i.e., 20 hours/week or less)
- Not a current student
- Lighting (one week) April 18 – 22
- Props (two weeks) April 18 – 29
- Sound (one week) April 11 – 16
- Stage Management April 25 – 29
- Wardrobe (2 weeks) April 4 – 14