THE SYMONS MEDAL AND LECTURE SERIES
Professor Thomas H. B. Symons, C.C., O.Ont., LL.D., D.U., D. Litt., D. Cn.L., F.R.S.C., F.R.G.S.
The Symons Medal and Lecture on the State of Canadian Confederation provides a national platform for a distinguished Canadian to discuss the current state and future prospects of Confederation. It provides all Canadians an opportunity to reflect upon their country and its future. The Medal Ceremony and Lecture is held each fall in Charlottetown to mark the meetings of the Fathers of Confederation in 1864.
The lecture honours Professor Thomas H.B. Symons, a long-time supporter and board member of the Confederation Centre for many years. Professor Symons, the founding President of Trent University in Ontario, is widely recognized for his work in the field of Canadian Studies, in particular in the areas of public policy, heritage and education.
It is the mandate of Confederation Centre of the Arts, Canada’s national memorial to the founding of Confederation, to inspire Canadians to celebrate, through heritage and the arts, the founding and evolution of Canadian Confederation. Confederation Centre fulfills this mandate in part by presenting Canadian leaders through public policy initiatives such as the Symons Medal and Lecture series.
- 2019 Lecture – Senator Murray Sinclair
- 2018 Lecture – Historian Margaret MacMillan
- 2017 Lecture – The Right Honourable Prime Minister Justin Trudeau
- 2016 Lecture – Novelist Antonine Maillet
- 2015 Lecture – Actor/director Paul Gross
- 2014 Lecture – His Royal Highness Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Human rights activist Stephen Lewis
- 2013 Lecture – Former Prime Minister Paul Martin
- 2012 Lecture – Environmentalist David Suzuki
- 2011 Lecture – Canada’s Chief Statistician Emeritus, Ivan P. Fellegi
- 2010 Lecture – Former Governor General David Johnston
- 2009 Lecture – Former President of the national Inuit organization, Mary Simon
- 2008 Lecture – The Right Hon. Beverley McLachlin, P.C., former Chief Justice of Canada and Ian E. Wilson, Librarian and Archivist of Canada
- 2007 Lecture – The Hon. John Crosbie, former Lieutenant Governor of Newfoundland and Labrador and The Hon. Peter Lougheed, former premier of Alberta
- 2006 Lecture – Mark Starowicz, broadcaster and journalist