CONFEDERATION CENTRE OF THE ARTS & CREATIVE PEI
INVITE APPLICATIONS TO
THE 2023 BACKSTAGE TRAINING & MENTORSHIP PROGRAMS
Funded through the Canada-PEI Labour Market Agreements
Backstage Training Program
Free of charge training in theatre production with experienced professionals across five disciplines (lighting, props, wardrobe, sound, and stage management). A passion for theatre or the arts is the only prerequisite!
- Program is offered to a maximum of 25 participants (up to five trainees per discipline);
- Program duration is either one week (30 hours) or two weeks (60 hours);
- Training is offered free of charge and will take place at Confederation Centre of the Arts;
- Individuals may apply for and be selected for more than one session/discipline;
- Training will be given in English;
- Runs Monday to Friday, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. & 1-4 p.m. (possible changes due to holidays, etc.)
- Lighting (1 week) April 3 – 8 (Apr 7 off for Good Friday)
- Props (2 weeks) April 3 – 8 & April 10 – 14 (Apr 7 off for Good Friday)
- Wardrobe (2 weeks) April 24 – 28 & May 1 – 5
- Sound (1 week) April 24 – 28
- Stage Management (1 week) April 24 – 28
Opportunities to work in professional theatre in PEI under the mentorship of experienced professionals.
- There are 13-14 paid positions available
- Interns must attend Backstage Training, ideally in the department in which they will be placed
- Pay rate is $18/hour, average of 37.5 hours/week – schedule will vary depending on theatre, role, and production calendar)
- Specific contract dates are TBA but applicants will need open summer availability (i.e. end of May/beginning of June through the end of August)
- Canadian citizenship or permanent residency;
- Current resident of PEI;
- 18 years of age or older.
Confederation Centre of the Arts (Charlottetown) – one (1) contract
The Guild (Charlottetown) – one (1) contract
Tech / Stage Management
Harbourfront Centre (Summerside) – one (1) contract
King’s Playhouse (Georgetown) – one (1) contract
Tech / Stage Management
River Clyde Pageant (New Glasgow) – three (3) contracts
Two (2) Stage Management
Victoria Playhouse (Victoria-by-the-Sea) – two (2) contracts
Tech (including sound/light operation)
Watermark Theatre (North Rustico) – four (4) contracts
Props – please note applicant must have access to a vehicle
- All applications must be received by Friday, March 10, 2023;
- Applicant will choose whether to apply for Training only, or to apply for both Training and Internship Programs;
- Interviews will be held the week of March 13, and all successful applicants will be notified by March 20 at latest.
Applications can be made online via a Google Form, using this link: https://forms.gle/TLpNWEAwRMABAEYWA.
These programs are open to everyone. Confederation Centre of the Arts works diligently to offer safe and brave spaces, building a healthy and supportive workplace for everyone.
If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process (including, but not limited to, an accessible in-person interview site, alternate format documents, ASL interpreter, or assistive technology), please let us know.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or would like to request an alternative application format.
Rosie Shaw, Theatre Project Coordinator